String Breakage..bulk tuning

Joseph Vitti JVITTI@ccmail.sunysb.edu
Wed, 06 Sep 1995 09:58:37 -0500 (EST)

                       Stony Brook, NY

                                            Joseph Vitti
                                            Piano Technician
                                            Music
                                            516 632-7330
                                            06-Sep-1995 09:47am EDT
FROM:  JVITTI
TO:    Remote Addressee                     ( _pianotech@byu.edu )

Subject: String Breakage..bulk tuning

To add to the information about string breakage, make sure the hammers on the
offending pianos are not real flat on top. If they are I'd file them to a good
shape, restring the treble sections and use medium grit and fine grit emery
cloth to clean up the capo bar. Remove or smooth down any grooves and lightly
lubricate the bar. This usually works for me.

I also bulk tune, but I make sure it is as close to the beginning of the
semester as possible. If the pianos are not in tune when the students arrive I
find I have to play catch up the rest of the year. Also I find the students
much easier to deal with!