Hammer Technique

Kenneth W. Burton kwburton@freenet.calgary.ab.ca
Tue, 05 Sep 1995 16:02:29 -0600 (MDT)

      Greetings all! I think I have been lurking long enough. I hope a
question in the area of tuning will be acceptable.
      If you read the PTG Journal, you will know that I am trying to
learn as much as I can about Hammer Technique.
      Here's my question: when tuning grands, how important is it to
exert strong thumb pressure on the hammer in an effort to rotate the pin
without leaning it sideways? Is this even possible?
      I have been simply pulling the hammer handle without worrying
about this force having the tendency to lean the pin.

      Ken Burton
      "Doctor Piano"