Pin Problems

Wippen@aol.com Wippen@aol.com
Tue, 05 Sep 1995 13:10:33 -0400

Thane Yennie wrote:
I have a Steinway M (mfg date I can't recall) that I replaced the bass
pins on a couple of years ago, and to date they still have a tendency to jump
during tuning (snap would be a better term).

Did this condition exist with the original pins?
There are a few things that will cause pins to jump like this but nearly
always it is because of some manner of contamination in the block/pin
interface.

Before repinning, were the tuning pin holes reamed. Sometimes, just running a
proper sized stiff wire brush through the wholes will clear the contaminate(
this is just my theory).

Oils(sweat) getting on the pins from the hands while stringing will also
cause pins to jerk and pop especially if the pins drive very tightly. What
kind of torque reading.

I remember hearing that some guys will use powerded rosin on the pins to
lessen the popping.

I have always beleived that a clean pin in a clean whole is the safest way to
go.

Good Luck.

Paul Dempsey
Marshall University