Waxing eloquent

Jim_Harvey@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com Jim_Harvey@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com
Sun, 03 Sep 1995 22:57:44 -0400 (EDT)

     Hi, Allan,

     I just did one of these candle wax jobs. It was on a new Baldwin, not
     Yamaha; bass, not treble section. Same music rack scenario, except
     that the tuning pins were about the only items _not_ involved. In my
     case, it was damper heads & wires, damper guide rail & bushings,
     keysticks/damper lift felt, damper underlevers, and damper tray that
     were effected. Hang in, I'm going somewhere with this.

     Candle wax is difficult, mainly because when you think you have it
     all, you don't. Because of this, I believe it's best to adopt the
     same philosphy as regulating: once over lightly just don't get it.
     Instead, start with gross maneuvers, i.e., the biggest, most obvious,
     then use more finite techniques until the desired results are
     achieved.

     Scraping is the first obvious method. Cooling will help when, instead
     of removing wax, all you do is move it from here to there. A "chill
     gun", such as marketed by Webb Phillips for drilling tuning pin holes
     would be ideal. Unfortunately, due to the rate of consumption, these
     are not practical in a home environment. Your thought of a CFC-free
     component cooler could also work, providing you can find one that
     contains no _added_ contact cleaner/lubricant. (I know there's a
     difference -- some solvent manufacturers apparently don't).

     You may want to try 'Dust-Off'(?), or "air in a can" that is used to
     blow cooties from computer keyboards/other areas. If you turn the can
     upside down, it does a credible job of chilling, and has a convenient
     trigger and extension nozzle. Less convenient, same results would be
     the cans used to power air brushes. Either of these are _supposed_ to
     be CFC-free by now.

     Use a wire or brass-bristle brush to get between coils and other
     tight spots. If (when) the brush loads up (like your tuning hammer),
     nuke the bristles with a torch or heat gun to melt the wax, cool and
     continue.

     If this is still not enough, you may want to try "scaring" the
     remaining stuff away, using a primitive form of sanding. Use something
     along the lines of a mild abrasive/dessicant, such as glass beads
     and/or chalk, placed inside, say, one foot from pantyhose stuffed
     inside another (double thickness). This 'restraint' would minimize
     waste, not to mention cleanup, and the combination would in effect be
     like a super mild sandpaper and "soaker-upper" on a constantly
     conforming block. If this sounds like a lot of trouble, a more
     expensive way would be to use 'ScotchBrite'(tm) pads or steel wool,
     and toss (either) as soon as they become loaded.

     On a Yo-mama piano, you should be able to work the abrasive in/around
     coils and pins without fear of shredding, since their beckets don't
     protude through the opposite side of the tuning pin.

     Note that I have yet to mention the 'Travis Tuning Pin and Coil
     Cleaner'. I won't -- not in this application.

     Regardless of how much care is exercised, there will obviously be some
     cleanup involved, but at least it will be in a controlled area. More
     importantly, with this procedure, _you_ are in control -- at no time is
     excessive heat generated, and no solvents are being used.

     Failing all this, rather, if all this fails, I do think plugging
     would work. By the time you arrive at this option, you will have
     left such a small amount of wax residue that it should be removed
     with drilling, burnishing the hole, or whatever procedures are used.

     Epilogue: After charging (a lot) for my efforts, I casually said to my
     Baldwin client, "Likely you'll be using a lamp instead of candles next
     time...?" The reply was raised eyebrows, a check, and a nod.

     Good luck,

     Jim Harvey
     -- Someone who's been in the field too long <I'm starting to like it>
Actually, I am curious if anyone has a good means of removing candle wax from
tuning pins and coils on a grand.  I have a customer who allowed candle wax to
run down off of the music desk onto the pins in the high treble of his Yamaha
G2.  Even after scraping from the sides of the pins, there is still a problem
with my tuning hammer sliping off of the pins. ..[remaining cut]