Bridle Wires

Kam544@aol.com Kam544@aol.com
Fri, 01 Sep 1995 20:07:38 -0400

yenniet posted:
>>Good Morning all!   This past weekend  as I was tuning a few pianos for
local
school district I came across a candidate for the "All time Hokey repair"
award.  A few bridle wires were broken at the wippen on an old upright and
instead of replacing them, some technician(?) ahead of me simply glued the
bridle tape to the bottom of the backcheck head.   Interesting isn't it?  To
this end I did replace a couple of the wires (I ran out of replacements), but
I was not satisfied with the result of my labors.  Since I couldn't get the
darn ends of the wires out of the wippens I ended up drilling a hole in the
wippen as close to the original site as possible and set the new wires in the
holes.   Does anybody out there have an efficient repair method for broken
bridle wires?<<

I just visited an old upright with a broken bridle wire this week.  I was
briefly stumped as to repair until I noticed one of its neighbors was fixed
just as you described.  Voila, I did likewise.  I can't imagine it being more
efficient than that!  A little unsightly, but than again, so was this piano.

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
Oklahoma Chapter