Tooner Tales

Benjamin Treuhaft blt@igc.apc.org
Tue, 19 Sep 1995 23:25:14 -0700

In the late '60s I crossed the country with my toolkit (my dog and my
MGA convertible with no top or hood) and a bit of knowlege and
whenever I ran out of gas I would hustle up a tuning.  Somewhere in or
about Wyoming I ran out near  a church on a Saturday morning.  I parked
the dog outside and entered, toolkit in hand.  It was an apostolic
church of God.  The preacher was on the stage along with two church
ladies, who were sitting knitting something or other.  The preacher was
at the upright piano and he had the front door off and was about to
apply a socket-wrench to the tuning pins.  I enquired, "Do you need any
piano tuning done?"  The ladies stopped knitting.  The preacher stared
at the bearded (likely barefoot too in those days) tuner and entoned:
"He's come!"