PIANOTECH digest 159

Larry Fisher larryf@pacifier.com
Thu, 30 Nov 1995 07:49 -0800 (PST)

In the interrest of keeping expenses down for those of you who pay by the=
 message received, I 've combined my responses to many who have posted.

>From: BubaNimrod@aol.com

>Subject: Obsolete Wippens

>I am working on an 1894 Hallet & Davis 56" upright (scale 42B). Its wippens
>have jack springs on the side opposite the jack tail, several of which are
>broken. New wippens (sticker type) as is will not work, as there is a
>protruding tongue at the flange end of the wippen, rendering the new wips
>unlevel with the originals. Is repinning new wips with shorter jacks a
>workable solution, or are there others?=20

Not knowing your particular dilema, it's hard for me to comment.  However, I=
 have had to make parts that are no longer available for some pianos I've=
 gotten into.  A table saw, scrap hardwood, drill press, and a Dremel=
 Moto-Tool have gotten me through lots of snags.  The parts weren't as=
 pretty but they did do the job. =20

If it comes down to it, send me some actual tracings, or actual parts, or=
 some such thing and if you're in no hurry I could get to it when the grey=
 matter will cooperate.  I sometimes enjoy the challenge!

Russel Schmidt........look into your software for a source of 5 or 6 pages=
 of empy lines following your posts.  At the end of all these empty pages=
 your name and the following show up.

>>                                                                  =
 Lexington,
>>Ky.               =20

>From: AKarab@aol.com
>To: pianotech@byu.edu
>Subject: Re: Sostenuto on S & S

>Scott Jones has mentioned that the factory is looking into converting to an
>in-the-keybed sostenuto system in the future. =20
>
>Audrey Karabinus,   Seattle

I could use a new challenge installing PianoDiscs.  I was getting bored=
 fabricating the sos linkages for Steinways spending the most time on the=
 pedal that is least used.

>From: AKarab@aol.com
>To: pianotech@byu.edu
>Subject: Sauter parts acquisition
>
>I have been trying to find out the price of some minor pedal parts for a
>client with a Sauter through Russel Castman Pianos in San Francisco, but
>never hear back.  Anybody know of another contact I can try?=20

Try emailing Larry Fine at Pianobook@aol.com (I think).  He tries to keep up=
 with who to contact regarding which piano manufacturer.

>From: ATodd@UH.EDU

>Subject: Voicing problem?

>   I received a post from someone from another list about a problem he has
>been having with his piano.

 Here is the post:

>****************
>   I own a Yamaha C3, purchased new. From the outset it has manifested a=20
>buzz or nasal plusing tone on the sustain portion of several notes in the=
=20
>first octave above middle C. Interestingly, the phenomenon is sometimes=20
>more conspicuous "after" it is tuned. Our technician (who seems very=20
>professional) rebuilds Steinways and M & H's, tunes for concerts at the=20
>university, is the designated Steinway technician at the dealers, etc.,=20
>has done some very minor hammer voicing as well as tapping the strings at
>the hitch pins in an effort to rectify this.=20
>*****************
>
>   I advised him to specifically tell his technician that, on his upcoming
>December tuning, he would like him to try and correct this problem. This=20
>would allow for scheduling, etc. to be anticipated.=20
>   Do any of you have any specific ideas about this particular problem?=20
>I would appreciate any ideas.=20
>
>Thanks,=20
>Avery Todd
>atodd@uh.edu

Nice approach regarding the "specific" request and the extra time it may=
 take.  That's an added consideration I would have overlooked when advising=
 someone and sets the stage quite nicely. =20

I do believe that it may be the lid alignment pin socket.  Not the real name=
 for the part but it might get me through the day looking and sounding=
 impressive.  On the curve in the rim, treble end of the piano, there is a=
 DOHICKEY that is held on the side of the inside of the rim with three=
 screws.  When the lid closes, a FAT PIN TYPE DEALEYBOP aligns with this=
 DOHICKEY providing the piano moving gorillas haven't torqued the lid hinges=
 too badly during the last move.  I have found this to be the source of many=
 sympathetique vibbbbbbbrations.  With the lid up, a loose set of=
 aforementioned three screws will make the DOHICKEY buzz on certain notes. =
 With the lid down, if the FAT PIN TYPE DEALEYBOP is set in the hole in the=
 DOHICKEY just right and the planets of the universe are all in the right=
 phase to provide the proper gravitational pull, it will catch a buzzzzzz=
 man!  For this I put a few punchings between the rim and one of the screws=
 of the DOHICKEY so that the FAT PIN TYPE DEALEYBOP would enter the hole at=
 a slight bind eliminating the buzzzzzz.  Easy fix, worth a look eh??

Thus ends my multi-flavoured post Toastie!  I must find time to shovel the=
 moss off my driveway!
                                   Larry Fisher, Metro Portland, Or.
                      Factory Preferred Installer for PianoDisc Products    =
                                                              phone=
 360-256-2999 or Email larryf@pacifier.com
                      live life with variety and stare adversity in the eye!=
!