RE Litigation

Kenneth Sloane Kenneth_Sloane@qmgate.cc.oberlin.edu
Mon, 27 Nov 1995 11:16:25 -0400

                      Subject:                              Time:  12:12 PM
  OFFICE MEMO         RE Litigation                         Date:  11/27/95

When I was in business for myself tuning pianos in the upholstered sewers of
the world (bars, lounges, pubs, etc.), I ran into more than one grand piano
with legs whose glue joints and mounting systems were so deteriorated that the
pianos were extremely unsafe to move (if not to play). I always made it a
point of informing the establishment(s) involved of the problem. I also
informed them that anything less than a thorough repair of the affected areas
followed by the installation of a sturdy undercarriage designed specifically
for making pianos "movable" would be insufficient. In this day and age of
liability and litigation, I would think most businesses would want to make the
investment to make their pianos safe for moving.

Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory

PS -- It's really pathetic to think that only fear of litigation would
motivate a business to make a piano safe.