Soundboard Shims

Scott Thile sethile@msumusik.mursuky.edu
Mon, 13 Nov 1995 09:00:52 -0700 (MST)

Hi All,
Paul Dempsy writes about soundboard shims:

>I've wrestled with this enigma for years. What is the easiest,simplest,way of
>camoflageing these white(new wood) stripes. I have tried lots of things
>(stains, strong coffee;),etc.) many of which I can live with but few that I
>have been truly happy with. Now, I know that it is impossible to make the
>new shims invisible, but, do any of you have any special secrets you'd
>like to share? Or, do you not worry about it and just leave them alone?

Why hide them?  I love to see the evidence of a craftsmen's work, a nicely
shimmed board is after all a board that has been cracked and repaired, not
one that has never been cracked. This is *not* an excuse for poor work. Over
time the shims age and start to blend naturally.

If this really bugs you there is only one good solution that I know,  and
sometimes use. Cut your own shims from old salvaged soundboards of the same
species and color of spruce,  being careful to fit the shim so you will not
have to remove much material from the top when trimming.  I have better
results using old wood with old wood both aesthetically and structurally. If
you want the board to look like it was never cracked, you should replace it.
Of course you can always use the ol'  piany tooner trick of "antiquing" the
board. <groan>

Scott
Scott E. Thile, RPT
Piano-Instrument Technician
Department of Music,Murray State University
P.O. Box 9, Murray, KY 42071, Ph:  502-762-4396
Email:  sethile@msumusik.mursuky.edu