grey market

Laurence Beach lbeach@sfu.ca
Wed, 08 Nov 1995 17:16:53 -0800 (PST)

>It seems lately that we've been inundated with these used pianos from
>the orient.  What is anybody's experience with these?  All opinions
>sought.  TYhanks!
>
>---
>vince mrykalo  rpt

I've seen tight centre pins on many of these pianos, usually for the
whippen.  One was so tight that the key would hardly come back up.  I
also wonder if the weighting of the keys may not be done properly.  I
just worked on a piano which had poor repetition, and thought at first
that the keys were poorly weighted.  While that may have been a
contributing factor, I later removed a whippen and found that it was so
tight that I felt that was the main cause of the sluggishness.  Of
course, I should probably have tried that out first!
On the topic of key weighting, I have never seen any guide lines on
weighting keys.  The only thing I have read (in Reblitz) is that one
should assume the weighting was done properly at the factory and look for
other causes.

Laurence Beach
Vancouver BC
Canada