Good Hammer Steamer

Kam544@aol.com Kam544@aol.com
Tue, 31 Oct 1995 20:51:21 -0500

Mark, here are three posts from my files that should satisfy your inquiry.

-----------
Subj:  Hammer steaming testimonial
Date:  Tue, May 23, 1995 9:47 AM CST
From:  pianotech@byu.edu

To Dave Stanwood:

A thousand thanks for your tip on steaming hard hammers to bring down the
brightness.  It works beautifully, and so fast!  Just a split second for each
hammer in the spout, with a good head of steam.

I've been going around to all the practice room grands here at Dartmouth and
tt makes a huge difference.

My confession:  The very first hammer I tried steaming (a Steinway 'L' in a
practice room), I flipped the hammer into the spout and it got caught!  In a
panic I of course made things worse by sloshing boiling water into the hammer
(the kettle was too full-- you only need a little water.)  Boy was I glad no
one was around.  Anyway, that one hammer is kind of a funny shape right now
(I'll leave it to your imagination-- don't try it) and eventually I'll have
replace it, but you know it really doesn't sound all that bad!

Anyway, that was my training cost, and it was well worth it.

Thanks again, Dave.

Danny Dover
Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH

Subj:  Re: Hammer steaming testimonial