Good Hammer Steamer

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Tue, 31 Oct 1995 20:46:54 -0500

>I gather that this has something to do with applying steam to the
>hammer felt, causing it to swell and unpack, in effect softening
>it. Is there more written somewhere about using this technique,
>or would you be so kind as to summarize? Thanks very much.

> --Mark Schecter

Mark,

Sometime last winter I posted something about the technique, and there was
some discussion about it.  Basically it works great on hammers made with
pressure and heat.  The steam undoes the hardening.  Pull the action out
onto your lap and take the electric tea pot with a good head of steam going
and tilt the hammer back so that the crown is brought into the steam.  First
time you try just a quick in and out.  Then slide the action back in and
check the results.
The effect of the steam is powerful and can really kill (or make killer
tone) so proceed carefully and check the effect before doing whole sections.

            David C. Stanwood Stanwood@tiac.net
            West Tisbury, Massachusetts     USA
            On the Island of  Martha's Vineyard

"The art in hammer making has ever been to obtain a solid,
 firm foundation, graduating in softness and elasticity toward
 the top surface, which latter has to be silky and elastic in
 order to produce a mild, soft tone for pianissimo playing, but
 with sufficient resistace back of it to permit the hard blow of
 fortissimo playing."                 - Alfred Dolge 1911