M&H trap springs and various

Barbara Richmond berich@heartland.bradley.edu
Fri, 31 Mar 1995 13:04:33 -0600 (CST)

Kent,

It must be an awful feeling to face hearing loss. I hope
that I will recognize it, if or when it starts and will not
be in too much denial about it and know when to quit.
Here are a few of the things that I believe were done
to the pianos at IWU due to hearing loss.

The hammers were solid lacquer.  I suppose some
people might actually prefer the sound, but I thought
it had been done in an effort to brighten the sound,
perhaps to make them more audible(?).  Personally, as
a pianist, I am not fond of rinky-tink and also believe
that it should not take a lot of effort to play at a soft
level.

The thing I hated dealing with the most was, since my
predecessor could not hear the clicks to fix them (and
would not admit that he could not hear them) he over-
tightened all the screws.  My favorite (I *am* being
sarcastic) instance of this I discovered when attempting
to do some rather standard damper trimming.  As I
tried to loosen the set screws that secure the damper
wires, the screw heads broke off.
(Please observe a moment of silence here.)

As a result of faculty complaining about clicks (Teflon
Steinways), the actions had been pinned REALLY
tight.  I guess the reasoning was that if it was tight it
would not click.  You can imagine what a delight these
instruments were to play!

Since my predecessor used a Sight-O-Tuner, and I
believe relied strictly on it, tuning at the top was not
much of an issue.  However, a curious thing did happen.
I was told that there was a note on the older Steinway D
on stage, that would not stay in tune. I checked it out.
The shared wire had been replaced and I could not even
get the thing to tune up, much less stay in tune.  The
tuning pin was tight enough and it wasnt an obvious
case of stiction.  I then looked at the wires--gee, they
were two different sizes!  The newer string was size 12--
in the size 15 section.  Well, one does not have to be
deaf to pick up the wrong size wire, but it proved to me
 that the Sight-o-Tuner was doing all the listening!

Barbara Richmond
Illinois Wesleyan University
Bloomington, Illinois
berich@heartland.bradley.edu