"Tuning" CDs won't sell...

Barbara Richmond berich@heartland.bradley.edu
Wed, 29 Mar 1995 11:13:22 -0600 (CST)

Ah, out of the mouths of babes--oh--I mean customers.
My response to "how can you stand to do that?" is,
"Well,  yes, I suppose it *does* sound like the musical
version of Chinese water torture."  (Gosh, that may not
be politically correct, these days!)

What I like is when the customer asks if its OK to
watch me work, sits down on the couch and then falls
asleep.  Im usually a little embarrassed when I have to
wake him/her up because the snoring is so loud that I
cant hear the piano. Maybe a tuning CD *would* sell if
we marketed it for insomniacs.

One day as I worked on a pianos dealers showroom
floor, a man came in and asked what that shiny finish
was on the pianos.  "Polyester," I replied.  "Polyester?"
he asked.  "Yes," I answered, "you know--recycled
leisure suits."

When I first started in business I experienced some
rather blatant cases of gender discrimination.  Im not
sure its much of a problem now, but maybe I just dont
bother to pay attention, either.  Anyway, one day many
years ago, I was telling my tale of woe to one of my friends
and ended my tirade by asking her why some people
thought one had to have a certain piece of the male anatomy
to tune a piano.  She responded "You could get one."
"Get one?" I asked.  "Sure, go down to Medusas (the local
*adult* store) and buy one to carry in your brief case."    We
had a good yuk about it.  A few days later a mysterious
package was delivered to my house..................................
Gee, I never had the opportunity to use it, but on a dare
I put it in a garage sale! That was one of the more fun sales
my friends and I had!

Hope you enjoyed (and were not offended) by this offering!

Barbara Richmond
Illinois Wesleyan University
Bloomington, Illinois
berich@heartland.bradley.edu