This List (again) -Reply

Jack Reeves reevesj@BYUGATE.BYU.EDU
Mon, 27 Mar 1995 09:34:04 -0700

ORIGINAL POST
>>> David Porritt <dporritt@sun.cis.smu.edu> 03/27/95 04:53am

My only question about subscribers to this list is BYU.  They have
graciously permitted us to use their resources without charge.  I
just wonder how much hardware time they can devote to our
business.  Shouldn't we be moving toward the day when we send
our messages to caut@PTG.com?

Dave Porritt, RPT
SMU - Dallas
REPLY
This has come up recently as a concern, not for this list because
the traffic is still fairly light, but on a list with several hundred
subscribers and heavy traffic.  The recent pianotech problems
were the direct result of that heavy traffic list overloading the
server.  When they examined that subscriber list, only about a
dozen were BYU employed, which immediately brought up the
question "why are we supporting this list?"  I explained my
involvement with our pianotech list, that it was my link with other
university technicians, and the only forum available to me, and
things are ok for now at least. However I do agree that PTG
needs to be looking down this road, and as a matter of fact, the
electronic comm. committe is doing just that.  All members of the
committee are subscribed to this list, so they read any
suggestions that come through.  I imagine that anything that
directly relates to PTG business will ultimately need to be on a
PTG paid-for list or WWW page.

Jack
jack_reeves@byu.edu