Piano security

Jeff Stickney jpage@selway.umt.edu
Mon, 27 Mar 1995 09:12:46 -0700 (MST)

     We have locks on our two Steinway concert grands, but over the years
the number of people who have keys I believe may outnumber those who
don't.  Consequently, those pianos get beat on more than I would like
(yes, some of the students around here are real pounders).  We would like
to replace the whole locking mechanism (as opposed to re-keying the old
locks), so I'm asking for recommendations.  Jaras sells a fallboard lock
through Schaff, and Pianotech sells one with the lock as part of the
mechanism.  Any experience/preference with these two?  Are there other
options to consider?  We would obviously like to have multiple keys
available, but some control of distribution/dupliction of those keys.
Any ideas on how you work that would also be appreciated.  Thanks

Jeff Stickney, RPT
University of Montana
jpage@selway.umt.edu