capo noises

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Sun, 26 Mar 1995 22:21:35 -0600

On Sun, 26 Mar 1995 Wippen@aol.com wrote:

[snip]
> I was surprised that no one mentioned that a significant reason for these
> unwanted sounds is the lack of sufficient angle of the string as it passes
> under the capo and rises toward the upper string rest. We all know that if
> this angle is too severe,tuning and stability problems will result (witness
> that un-tunable monster,the Steinway upright) ,not to mention the high
> probability of string breakage and other gremlins.But, if that angle is too
> small,I have observed that the capo section of the string *will* "zing and
> jangle" Could it be that the speaking lengths vibrations are "leaking
> through", causing its capo section string partner to vibrate. Yes, a grooved
> capo will cause a buzz, and that buzz can often be eliminated by moving the
> string back and forth under the capo bar thereby,I believe, burnishing the
> bar a little, removing the little "hill" of iron that grew as the little
> "valley" was worn in by the string.(That metal has to go somewhere). One can
> also voice that noise down or out. That type of buzz is heard in the speaking
> length more so than in the capo section.

Is it just me or does anyone else bristle at the thought of someone
dragging a string forth and back across a capo bar in an effort to
"burnish" the capo bar?  I think I would put that in the same category as
the tooner who smashes loose tuning pins--_en masse_--into the pinblock
without the benefit of a support from below.  Or the goons who slather
black graphite grease all over everything they think might emit the
slightest squeak or groan.

> I have a Steinway D at my school that had a terrible problem with these kinds
> of noises. No amount of voicing,different hammers,shaping of the capo
> bar,etc. had any effect on the problem. After numerous disappointments,I
> began reviewing all that I had done so far to effect a cure. I occured to me
> that when I did any shaping or filing of the capo bar I was actually changing
> the angle that exists between the capo and upper string rest. If that angle
> was too shallow to start with, then my work on the bar was exacerbating the
> condition.

I believe it was Michael Wathen (if it wasn't, he'll correct me) who
pointed out that a slightly "edgy" capo bar -- it would look more like
this  V  than this  U --may reduce that zing quality.  Is it possible
that your reshaping left the capo bar very round or even slightly flat
(boy!  I'm treading thin ice--don't mean to sound snooty, just asking an
innocent question)?  Your suggestion that adding height to the upper
string rest proved successful caused me to wonder about that.

Ron Torrella               "Ideal conversation must be an exchange of thought,
School of Music           and not, as many of those who worry most about their
University of Illinois    shortcomings believe, an eloquent exhibition of wit
                    or oratory." -- Emily Post, Etiquette