Prepping those Kawai Pianos

Barbara Richmond berich@heartland.bradley.edu
Sat, 25 Mar 1995 08:54:05 -0600 (CST)

Bill Scharbrough asked where on the shoulders (high or low) to
use the vise grips.  Hmmm.  Well, it depends.  How do you like
that?  Seriously, I guess it would be at about 2:00--is that
clear.  However, a lot depends on the size of the hammer, how
hard it is, etc.  One must do careful experimentation.  The only
time I use vise-grips is to make the hammer soft enough so my
needles will do some good.  The only time I use a hammer
softening agent is when vise grips and needles won't do the
job (example: over lacquered hammers).  Oh, and the cupping I
was referring to is on the shoulder, a direct result of using
the vise grips.

I learned most of what I know about voicing from Wally Brooks.
I think the class was called "tone building."

Well, I have a *terrible* case of spring fever.  Happens every
year when I see the bags of top soil and composted cow manure
make their apprearance at the garden shops.  My husband says
I get this glazed look in my eyes and then put down my constant
companions of the past few months (my gardening catalogs) and
disappear outside.  So-------BYE!

Barbara Richmond
Illinois Wesleyan University
Bloomington, Illinois