superglue

DaleP34429@aol.com DaleP34429@aol.com
Fri, 24 Mar 1995 01:31:21 -0500

     I'd like to get an idea from the group about experiences using
superglues, (Dryburgh Glue, etc.)  Personally, I use it often in field
service, but in my own tests in my shop I find it to be brittle.  One of the
uggested uses is for gluing hammer heads back on broken shanks where the
break is right where the shank enters the hammer.   This doesn't seem to be
the place for a brittle adhesive.  So far I don't know of any repairs coming
apart, but I often feel unsure about the permenence of these kind of repairs.
 Where is it best to use this glue, and where is it unacceptable?

Gordon Large, RPT
Mt. Vernon, ME

Gordon,

         I use Zap brand from Pianotek, it seems to hold up better in the
heat here and I like the applicator bottle better. I've found it very useful
for gluing jack heels and other broken wippen parts as well as making
"instant" key or key button repairs. I use it in organ repair on plastic
parts where it can be beaded in the same manner as welders use. I haven't
used it on hammer heads from fear I might have trouble removing them later.
If the surfaces to be adhered are prepared properly, it is a very strong,
quick material to use.
                                                      Dale Probst