"Profession and Image" edito

DaleP34429@aol.com DaleP34429@aol.com
Fri, 24 Mar 1995 01:29:56 -0500

Mark,
      I enjoy what I do and some days still cannot believe I get paid for it.
I recently read some Journals from the early '70's that Kelly Ward passed on
to us. This same attitude was addressed by Bob Hayward
in his columns titled "Getting the Business". I suppose what is so
frustrating for greybeards like me is that having spent as much time in
seminars, training, and perfecting the craft as any professional I know, I
sometimes feel I am being treated like a diletante. At this point in life, I
refuse, like Marlon Brando in Godfather I, " to be taken for a fool". I also
try not to fall into arrogant behavior. I just don't want the people that
follow me to have to put up with the ignorant attitudes I have encountered. A
large portion of this field is educating our clients and we owe it to those
who follow in the craft to educate clients to treat their instruments and  tec
hnicians with respect. When that happens, a relationship is created that will
not only endure: it will prevail.                            Dale Probst

   "Will it cost less if you only tune the white keys? They're the only ones
I play anyhow."
     -query by a potential customer who did not pass the entrance