Two Pianos---

Michael Wathen 556-9565 Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu
Thu, 23 Mar 1995 13:56:53 -0500 (EST)

Here is the new Steinway we received this week.

In my previous post I should have included something about the
accuracy and method of measurements.  Gram weights used are
standard issue from the supply house.  The consists of a
collection of brass discs with holes in the centers and the
weights are graduated from one to a collected weight of 63 grams.
Each one of the units were calibrated by filing the brass and
checking their weight on a gram scale accurate to within + or -
0.1 grams.  Weights are placed on the key at a position that
leaves one edge of the weights lined up with the vertical front
surface of the key. Bumping was not used.

The centers were all measured with spring type gauge manufactured
by P.K. Neuses.  I have no information on the accuracy of this
instrument but I believe it to be reasonably accurate.  A hammer
connected to a hammershank that passes through the bottom of its
swing 5 times measures 2 grams.

Piano: Steinway B             March 22, 1995
serial: 523835                Relative Humidity 54%

Fourteen notes were sampled (all the Cs and Fs excluding C8).
Downweight and Upweight were measured for each note as well as
the gram resistance at each flange center excluding the
underlever mechanism.  Weight and Friction values were computed
from the Downweight and Upweight.  Average gram resistance of
action centers is computed by taking the sum of the resistance of
the hammer center, jack center, whippen flange, and repetition
center for each of the fourteen notes then dividing by 14.

Average Weight      39.4 gm          Standard Deviation  1.9 gm
Average Friction    12.9 gm          St. Dev. 2.2 gm

Average gram resistance
in action centers   6.6 gm          St. Dev. 1.7 gm

Average gram resistance
in Hammer           1.4 gm         St. Dev.  0.5 gm