source for soundboard stock

Stephen Birkett SBIRKETT@envsci.uoguelph.ca
Mon, 13 Mar 1995 02:04:58 -0400 (EDT)

I have not been very successful in finding a convenient source for
soundboard stock for the fortepianos I build. These are thinner than
modern piano soundboards (about 1/8") and I have a prejudice against
Sitka. Engelmann was suggested but I haven't found anywhere with a
supply of that. I can get Eastern spruce from the company in
Dolgeville NY that makes Steinway soundboards. Does anyone know
the quality of the Dolgeville wood OR alternatively can anyone
point me toward a more convenient supplier for soundboard quality
spruce?

Thanks in advance

Stephen Birkett
University of Guelph
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
(near Toronto will fix my location close enough)