cents

Steve Brady sbrady@u.washington.edu
Sun, 12 Mar 1995 20:44:56 -0800 (PST)

> tuner I find I understand 440 or 435 or whatever beat per second rate, and I
> wonder if there is a calculation to translate cents to bps.  Are exact cent
> amounts mainly a tool for those using electronic tuners?  Any responses would
> be appreciated.  Thanks
>
> Gordon R. Large, RPT
> Mt. Vernon, Maine

      Jim Ellis will be publishing a rather substantial article in the
May issue of the Journal, dealing with tuning fork stability and
accuracy. Included in the article will be a chart of cents-to-beats per
second conversions. One practical and convenient way to handle these
conversions is simply to let 4 cents equal one beat per second at A above
middle C. For each octave going up from there, double the number of
beats. For each octave going down, cut the number of beats in half.

Steve Brady, RPT        "The most expert and rapid tuners are...
University of Washington       possessed of a highly excitable,
sbrady@u.washington.edu        nervous, and emotional temperament,
                         verging on the border of insanity at times."
                              -Daniel Spillane, The Tuner's Guide