Kawai University Program

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Fri, 10 Mar 1995 09:25:49 -0600

On Thu, 9 Mar 1995, Barbara Richmond wrote:
> Ron,
>
> I'm curious about your comments about the Kawais at Lansing--
> especially about the hammer softener.  I've used softener with
> excellent results, though I've never tried it on Kawai
> hammers.  Did someone use too much and the hammers fell apart?
> Or did someone assume that if the hammers sound like cotton
> balls that there's nothing that can be done?

I got the impression that Owen felt it was necessary to take drastic
measures to voice the hammers down.  The first thing that sprang to mind
was "Egads!  The felt is gonna come unglued from the moldings!"  Even if
they did, I don't think it would have phased Owen--the piano he had at
home had been in a fire, doused with water, and he didn't bother to
replace *anything* because he wanted to see what effect the water would
have on the various parts.  It looked hideous, but Chopin and Beethoven
sounded just fine on it all the same!  The portrait view of the hammer
felts on that one looked like one of those hair-do's from the 50s and
60s.  Kinda "flippy" -- like gull wings.  It was amusing to be in Owen's
presence sometimes.  Oh the stories the pianos at MSU would tell--if they
could!  Anyhow, back to the hammers on the Kawais;  they didn't come
unglued because he didn't stick them in the solution that deep--only the
top 1/2" or so.  Apparently, there was so much lacquer in the hammers
that they didn't wick very much water.  Don't know if he solved the
constant string breaking problem.

Ron Torrella               "Ideal conversation must be an exchange of thought,
School of Music           and not, as many of those who worry most about their
University of Illinois    shortcomings believe, an eloquent exhibition of wit
                    or oratory." -- Emily Post, Etiquette