Due for a Rebuild?

PHIL SLOFFER, MA067 855-1244 PSLOFFER@ucs.indiana.edu
Wed, 8 Mar 95 05:59:36 EWT

HI Bill

We restring the top two treble sections in some of our performance pianos
every two years or so depending on the amount of breakage.  The tenor and bass
section will need restring after ten years more or less depending on what level
you are trying to maintain.

On the other hand a piano that is not performed on such as a home or practice
room for example might not ever need to be restrung until it gets rebuilt.

You mention the tuning pins as " 0 ".  Do you mean one 0?  That is to say
.276 or so?  I had always thougth that Steinway used 00 pins in new pianos,
that is .282    In any case if the pins are too loose I would repin when you
restring.

Now just for fun I want to mention what I like to do with school pianos when
I rein one or two problem pins.  I put in pin of a different color.  That is
if the old pins are blue I put a plated pin and if the old pin is plated I put
in a blue pin.  That way when I tune the thing later I know right away if I
have had any trouble with tuning pins.  I would not do this on new stuff.

Phil Sloffer
Indiana University School of Music
psloffer@ucs.indiana.edu