more bs

PHIL SLOFFER, MA067 855-1244 PSLOFFER@ucs.indiana.edu
Fri, 03 Mar 1995 11:10:00 +0000 (EWT)

Hi All

Storing bass strings in pvc pipe sound like a great idea to me.
But I wanted to mention some things about bass strings and how
they are made, at least as far as I know.

The core wire is run through rollers to straighten it before they
put an eye on one end and then put it in the winding machine and
wrap the core wire with copper.  That is why bass strings hang
well but have to be forced into a coil such as when they are
mailed in a box.

There is one exception.  Ari Isaac makes bass strings without
straight core wire.  His strings when done will not hang
straight.  They curl up just as you would expect plain wire to
do.  He does this because in his judgement they sound better.

I think as far as storage goes for a short period of time it may
not matter to the strings whether they are coiled in a box or
hung.  I think clean is important.  Convenience is too.  I would
vote for the pvc pipe thing.  However Ari Isaac bass strings are
another thing and might not go into a pvc pipe.

Phil Sloffer
Indiana University
psloffer@ucs.indiana.edu