storing bass strings

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Thu, 02 Mar 1995 08:26:05 -0600

On Wed, 1 Mar 1995, Barbara Richmond wrote:

> I guess my question is, is it safe to store them hanging from
> a hook--not whether or not they'll fall--but will they stay
> "live."  Did Yamaha stop storing them because it was a hassle
> or because something happens to them while hanging around?  I
> have mine stored on a peg board with a plastic sheet attached
> at the top that drapes over the strings to help keep dust out.

It's been my understanding that storing bass strings wound up (as they
came when shipped) decreases their shelf life.  Don't know the scientific
reason but it seemed to make sense to me.  If someone can come up with a
reason why storing them *unsprung* is bad, I'd like to hear their
reasoning.

Ron Torrella               "Ideal conversation must be an exchange of thought,
School of Music           and not, as many of those who worry most about their
University of Illinois    shortcomings believe, an eloquent exhibition of wit
                    or oratory." -- Emily Post, Etiquette