Parts Inventory

Gilreath@aol.com Gilreath@aol.com
Wed, 01 Mar 1995 23:44:52 -0500

Barbara,

I have another suggestion for bass string storage.  I have made several cases
for storing both sets of strings (that I keep in stock for 243s etc.) and my
pending replacements.

The cases are made of 3" PVC with a cap on one end and a "clean-out" on the
other.  They look like the long cases that surveyors use, are waterproof, can
be custom cut for any length set and can have a pack of silica gel added for
moisture absorption.  This way I keep my strings organized, protected,
straightened out, and unhung, all at the same time.  Of course, keep them on
the wire to maintain order. (That may be obvious, but I wanted to make sure
that no one suffered any grief.)

A modification of this idea also works for storing strips of damper felt
either in the shop or in the van.  This size uses 2" PVC and allows usually 3
cases from a 10' length of pipe.  A seperate case for my straight edge,
s-board steel, etc. is made from the same material.

Hope this idea is useful for you or someone out there.  If anyone needs more
details, just drop me a line at Gilreath@aol.com

Allan L. Gilreath
Gilreath Piano & Organ
Berry College