No subject

CRANE@TWSUVM.UC.TWSU.EDU CRANE@TWSUVM.UC.TWSU.EDU
Wed, 01 Mar 1995 07:02:54 -0700 (MST)

Date: 28 February 1995, 19:47:45 CST
From: CRANE    at TWSUVM
To:   pianotech at BYU.EDU
Subject: SUPPLY HOUSES...

  - - The original note follows - -

HI All!

It seems to me (and I could be wrong) that supply houses/companies are
very much like the tools I carry in my case and keep in my shop.  Some
are favorites and others I use only when nothing else will do the job to
my satisfaction.  Some are common to many of the technicians with whom I
associate and some are unique to me, other technicians finding them
useless or having different tools which they prefer for a given
operation.  Some tools I am very competent and confident with while
others have a history, in my hands, of 'less than stellar' performance
(of course, I assume the latter to be due to cheapness (the tool!:) or
poor design or something).  If I have trouble with the performance of a
tool, I will either work to increase my proficiency in its use or try to
find a different tool which I am able to use more easily and accurately.

At this point in time, I have a *lot* of tools and I also have a *lot*
of suppliers with whom I deal.  I don't buy the same things from all of
them but have favorite things to order from each.  I just found a new
pair of piano wire cutters which I am very eager to try and they are
offered by a company which doesn't even cater to piano technicians.
Some of my technician friends laugh at some of my tools.  A few also
laugh at some of my suppliers.  I, however, like my tools...that's
why I'm *in* this business...'cause I get to (have to ;) buy TOOLS!

I *really* enjoy hearing about everyone else's favorite, and not
so favorite, tools.  That includes supply houses/manufacturers.
Among my list of suppliers is APSCO.  I used to hate the looonng
turn-around time on orders I placed with them but I liked a lot of the
things they offered.  Then, several years ago, the turn-around time
suddenly shrank to that of Schaff and other suppliers..."YEA!", I said.
I have an open acount with them, as with most of my other suppliers and
it seems to work well.  I do, howerver, order bass strings directly from
Mapes.  I like their service and quality and I've had *some* bad luck with
bass strings from a supply house (not APSCO) in the past.

Alan Crane, RPT
Wichita State University
crane@twsuvm.uc.twsu.edu