Colon Stuff

Stephen Birkett SBIRKETT@envsci.uoguelph.ca
Wed, 28 Jun 1995 15:00:04 -0400 (EDT)

Ron Torrela wrote...
> As I was saying... now that I've steamed out the old leather, I have to
> figure out how to get hide glue into the crack and then the replacement
> leather *without shoving the glue out*.  I'm wondering if I should just
> apply the glue to the leather, then shove it in.

It sounds to me like the colon stuff is the same as `parchment
paper'...I think that comes from sheep. This is standard for hinging
the escapement prells on the Viennese action...access in Europe to
parchment is to say the least easier than in NA. A good source is old
bookbinders' scraps.

As for gluing in the leather in its slot...try putting a *very* thin
hide glue coat on the leather, letting it dry. Slip the leather into
the slot and heat to soften the glue.

Stephen Birkett (Fortepianos)
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
tel: 519-885-2228