Thin washers

Mark Story mstory@ewu.edu
Wed, 28 Jun 1995 10:50:26 -0800 (PST)

Hi Tom,

>Do the supply houses carry those thin washers any more and, if so, what are
>they called? Also, do they come in different thicknesses?

I've never been able to get the washers to work very well - even the
thinnest are too darn thick. Usually, you only need to take up a third of a
turn or less. Someone calculated this for a Journal item once (where's that
Journal CD ROM), and concluded what we already know - you can't make a
washer thin enough to be useful. You could, I suppose, use a washer and then
mill the agraff to fit. What I have resorted to is using a piece of thin
copper wire wrapped in a ring. The copper in soft enough that it will
flatten to take up the slack that you need.

Mark Story, RPT

Eastern Washington University        |  mstory@ewu.edu
Cheney, Washington, USA                |  mark.story@phunnet.org

"Is it not strange, that sheeps' guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"
                               Shakespeare - Much Ado About Nothing