Key Ratio

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Wed, 21 Jun 1995 11:34:00 -0500

At  8:13 AM 6/21/95 -0600, stanwood wrote:

>In most cases, I set the strike weight ratio to be at an average level of
>5.5.  If I can get that by choosing the right parts it makes life easier.
>Otherwise I move capstans/heels in or out as needed.  This is done in about
>80% of cases.
>
>If I have a client that needs a light action I will set the strike weight
>ratio to 5.0.  Lower than that and you have to make the key dip excessively
>deep.
>
>Stanwood

        Thanks David. I just did some tests with different parts but using
the same hammer and original key ratio. I am surprised how close the
numbers are and here is what I got for Strike ratio:

Old Parts               5.6
Renner early N.Y.       5.9
Renner Hamburg          5.4

        I get the message that you would not automatically change an
underleveraged key ratio. If this is correct that is interesting because it
sort of sounds like you are consciously compensating for bad geometry with
more leverage. Have I got it wrong?

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College