food & beverages

Joel A. Jones jajones2@facstaff.wisc.edu
Wed, 21 Jun 1995 10:32:44 -0600

No doubt this is an old subject, but since there seems to be a lull I would
like to revisit it to perhaps find  a new angle.  Hopeless or not, there
has got to be a way of presenting this restriction and having it observed
by all.
        Here's out picture. Our practice pianos are locked. Posted on the
door is a sign stating loss of practice priviledges with food & beveragesin
the room.  This does not seem to eradicate the problem.  My most famous
incident this year was a student with the big bottle of evian water sitting
on a 7'Baldwin.  After my usual introduction she retorted that she was a
'voice major' and needed water for her throat.  During the long argument
following we were joined by the facilities coordinator and the assistant to
the director. Results:  the water was removed fromt the piano, but allowed
to stay in the room on the coat rack.  I was accused of intrusion of
privacy by the student, infringement of rights, etc. The picture was not
pretty and I was *ticked off*.
        Students and faculty do give the nodding agreement that food and
drink should not be allowed on our expensive pianos.   However, when  the
cookie crumbles it's my job to clean it up, leaving everyone to cluck about
what a shame it is to have this happen... blah, blah,blah.  I have only to
walk down the hall past the classrooms to observe a full professor with his
'big slurpy' perched prominently on the concert grand.
         You've all been there.  I'd certainly appreciate your tips on how
to eliminate this problem from my work life.

Joel Jones
UW-Madison,  when you say Wis-con-sin. You've said it all.