Personal injury

Barbara Richmond berich@heartland.bradley.edu
Wed, 07 Jun 1995 08:43:13 -0500 (CDT)

>>What's a personal life?
>>Pianists have no regard for a tuners weekends.

Gee, before I started working for IWU I worked no weekends
or evenings--and I still had a full schedule--but those
were the choices I made.  When I started at IWU I sent a
memo to faculty stating the *rules* which included one
stating that only essential concert work is done on
weekends.  Essential mostly means touching up unisons.
The way I get away with this is I have 2 weekly regularly
scheduled times in the concert hall for tuning, voicing
and regulating.   The only exceptions to the rule are
piano faculty recitals or if the weather has been playing
games with the tuning.   This system has worked well here
at a small liberal arts school (only 160-180 students in
the school of  music).  I miss the freedom of my
*independent* days, but
institutional work has certain niceties, too.  One of the
best
things that ever happened to me was when piano work went
from being my life to it just being my job.

Barbara Richmond
Illinois Wesleyan University
Bloomington, Illinois
berich@heartland.bradley.edu