Pedal Problem

Rick.Florence@asu.edu Rick.Florence@asu.edu
Fri, 02 Jun 1995 09:23:08 -0700

>>Hi All,
>>
>>I really enjoy reading the postings on the pianotech discussion group.
>>
>>I have a problem with the pedal on a Conn console.  The sustain pedal has
>>worn quite a bit and ovaled out the hole in the pedal where the pedal pin is
>>inserted. The pedal has a lot of play from side to side, and wobbles
>>severely.  Is there any way to repair this hole so that a new pedal pin can
>>be inserted tightly, or should I recommend that they purchase a new set of
>>pedals?  I am looking for a cheap fix, if there is one. I would appreciate
>>your input.

Try this:

Remove the pin and insert a long piece of music wire (the smallest size you
have) on the front side of the hole (the top or bottom may crack the
pedal).  Replace the pin - you will have to hammer it in - and snip off the
wire on both sides flush with the sides of the pedal.  I have used this
method on a number of practice pianos and it has worked every time.

Good luck!

----
Rick Florence, Piano Technician
 Arizona State University School of Music
 Rick.Florence@ASU.Edu