humidity

David Porritt dporritt@sun.cis.smu.edu
Tue, 29 Aug 1995 07:06:28 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 29 Aug 1995, Allen Leigh wrote:

> Paul Dempsey just commented about high humidity in his area, and his
> comment reminded me of a question to ask.
>
> What do you tuners do about tuning in summer months, knowing that the piano
> will probably go out of tune during the fall?  Do you warn your customers
> about the change in the fall?  Do you postpone summer tunings and pick them
> up in the fall?  I'm thinking about people who have their piano tuned only
> once a year, and I'm concerned about doing summer tunings, knowing that the
> fall change in humidity will change the tuning.
>
> a related question: How much are stable tunings affected by humidity changes?
>
> Any and all responses will be appreciated!
>
> /allen
> a-leigh@risky.wcslc.edu

Since I can't afford to take the Summer off (that would be 6 - 7 months
here in Texas) I tune them when they call.  Actually Winters are a shorter
time of stability here but the principle is the same.  1> If they call you
go tune...don't look at the calendar. 2> If they ask, be truthful.

I have to assume that when the customer calls is when they want it tuned.

Humidity has a tremendous affect on tuning!

David M. Porritt, RPT
SMU - Dallas