Lower back problems

Allen Leigh a-leigh@risky.wcslc.edu
Tue, 29 Aug 1995 00:41:41 -0600

some comments were recently made about lower back problems.  As a
long distance runner, I'm concerned about lower back problems, but
in 23 years of running, I've been injury free.  I do some stretch
exercises for lower back.

1.  Lay prone on the floor.  Put both hands under the corresponding
knee caps and pull your legs up over your chest.  Your head is flat
on the floor.  You are in a "fetal" position with both legs bent
over your chest.  Hold that position for 10 seconds, then relax and
Repeat a few times if desired.

2.  This one is similar to the last one, but you only grab one leg
under the knee cap and bend it over your chest.  The other leg is
bent rather than being flat on the floor.  Bend your head forward
and touch your nose to your knee that is bent over your chest.
Hold it for 10 seconds then relax by laying your head on the floor
and having both feet bent at the knee instead of being flat on the
floor.  Repeat a few times if desired.

then do it with the other leg.

3.  Do a few sit ups to strengthen your stomach, which needs to be
balanced with your back muscles.  Caution: don't do the old army
type of sit ups, they will kill your back.  In doing sit ups, you
only need to bend your waist a small amount.  Do not put your shoulders
and head flat on the ground.  Keep your head up and just flex your waist
a small bit.  You should feel no strain at all in your back.

In doing the above stretch exercises, stop before you feel any pain or
discomfort.  Pain is a sign you're doing too much for your body
condition.  If you're concerned about lower back problems, try the
exercises, they will do wonders!

If my instructions aren't clear, I apologize in advance, and will be
glad to try to clarify them, if someone will let me know that I was
not clear.

/allen-who-loves-to-run-and-never-has-been-injured
a-leigh@risky.wcslc.edu