bass string space problem

PNOTNR@aol.com PNOTNR@aol.com
Sun, 27 Aug 1995 22:30:44 -0400

Thanks to all who responded to my block plugging question.  I have some
remaining apprehension (dang, I wish they had spell check on the internet)
with the plugging proceedure; namely that if I drill out the old tuning pin
holes to accept a 1/2 inch plug, and my original reason for doing so was to
relocate the pin roughly 3/16 in. to the left of where it was, my new tuning
pin hole will be on the glue line.  I can't think offhand of a specific
reason why this would cause trouble, but it makes me uneasy just the same.

So help me out again here, folks.  My problem is the top row of tuning pins
in the bass. Would I be being anal compulsive to drill out and plug the old
tuning pin hole, then locate the new center point for the tuning pin, then
drill out and plug that spot so that my tuning pin would be in the center of
a plug? (ugh!)  I think I like the idea of routing out a section of the block
and inlaying a new piece of pinblock that David mentioned.  Plugs just
sounded faster.  BTW, what's the glue of choice for this situation.

Newton, thanks for the offer, but I don't want you to hurt yourself.  If you
walk around in that suit of armor on an expensive carpet, do you need to
attach castor cups to the boots to prevent metal oxides from staining?

Gordon
Maine (might have frost tonight!)