Hammers

Dan Squire djws@hti.net
Sun, 27 Aug 1995 20:14:39 -0500

      In the recent past there has been a fair amount of discussion
on the topic of non-linearity of piano hammers.  I don't mean to cause
any sword fights but I would like to have more information on this
topic.  A few of my questions are:  Where can I get this information?
Was the hammer modeled as an equivalent mass spring system?
If the hammer was modeled as an equivalent mass spring system was
it a series, parallel, or a series and parallel system?  Were all the
equivalent springs non-linear or just some?  What are some of the
typical spring constants for the equivalent springs?  Can the hammer
be treated as a piecewise linear system?

Thanks,
Dan Squire
University of Houston