bass string space problem

DefTuner@aol.com DefTuner@aol.com
Sun, 27 Aug 1995 10:59:40 -0400

I tried a variation on the "plug all the holes" method. On an old upright I
routed out the entire sections of drilled pinblock to the depth of the size
pinblock I was going to use. I then carefully cut individual pieces of block
to fit in the routed sections. Then drilled for the tuning pin holes in the
usual fashion.  This would eliminate the possibility of plugged holes
loosening and turning with expansion and contraction of the old pinblock, as
the separate pieces are essentially locked in place.  I assume the repair
held up, but I lost track of the piano and couldn't follow up.  The amount of
work necessary to accomplish this may be nearly the same as replacing the
whole piece. At the time I thought seemed easier. I've never tried since.

David Denison RPT