bass string space problem

PNOTNR@aol.com PNOTNR@aol.com
Sat, 26 Aug 1995 21:28:22 -0400

It seems that about ten years ago there was a lot of talk about plugging and
drilling blocks.  I don't recall anyone talking about it lately.  Was there a
problem with this kind of repair, or do people use this method, and just not
talk about it?

I have an upright piano to restring, and one problem I'd like to correct is a
situation where some bass string tuning pins are in the path of their
neighbor strings.  (one of them is bad enough that I'll have to enlarge the
hole in the plate)   I'm not planning on replacing the block, and I thought
the plugging might be the way to go.   Anybody know of any problems with this
method?

Gordon Large
Maine