NY/Hamburg types

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Fri, 25 Aug 1995 14:32:36 -0400

>Re differences elaborated by Stanwood corresponding to Steinway new specs:
>You may be aware of this, but the increase in dip for Steinway is because
of >their switching to a high leverage shank. In fact, they have been using
a >high leverage shank since '84. Their actions since '84, however, (unlike
>european counterparts) often did not require lots of dip if the key ratio
>was less than 2:1. I don't know if they have switched, yet, to the unified
>action where the key ratio will be fixed at 2:1.

>Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory

As a result of extensive touchweight studies, I have come to recognize the
New York and Hamburg Steinways as two distinct types in regard to their
touch designs.  The New York type has an average strike ratio of 6.0 and a
lower hammer weight than the Hamburg type which has an average strike ratio
of 5.5 with heavier hammers.

If Steinway goes to the unified action with 2:1 key ratio for Hamburg/NY the
result wil be a homoginizing of these distinct types.

David Stanwood