Beginning Tech: Upright Reg. - Hammer Blocking

Ron Berry ronberry@iquest.net
Sun, 20 Aug 1995 23:04:52 -0500

>Hello Everyone,
>
>I have a Beginning Tech question about the regulation of a console piano
>action.  There are about five or six hammers that block against the strings
>when they are given a hard blow.  At lower volume levels they work fine, but
>when a test blow is given the hammers block.
>
>Does anyone have an idea as to what may cause this condition?  I surmise that
>perhaps the jack is not tripping out from under the hammer butt when it
>connects with the let-off button, but I don't know why this may be.

Besides the answers that have already been sent I can think of one other
situation.  If this is a Baldwin with corfam instead of buckskin on the butt
it could be the problem.  Especially the black corfam was very compressive
and would change let off position quite a bit from a loud blow to a soft
one.  If it has corfam it needs to be replaced, because it gets hard and
noisy and keeps the piano from working well.

Ron
Ron Berry, RPT (Registered Piano Technician)
ronberry@iquest.net
Indianapolis, IN
Check out the Piano Page at http://www.prairienet.org/arts/ptg/homepage.html
for some great information and links about pianos!