Loud Blow, Soft Blow

RobertD429@aol.com RobertD429@aol.com
Sun, 20 Aug 1995 20:58:54 -0400

>> Question: why does a shorter string contact time translate to a "sound
richer
>> in higher partials"?
>>
>>Michael Wathen

>The hammer that stays on the string longer actually mutes partials that
>would otherwise be vibrating while the hammer is on the string.  If the
>hammer stayed on the string 1 second it would be muting all vibration
>(blocking).  If it stayed on the string only 1 _micro_, second all audible
>partials would be heard.  Right??

>David M. Porritt, RPT
>SMU - Dallas

Yes [well, except for the ones which are multiples of the inverse of the
strike point fraction -- i.e., if the string is struck at 1/7 of its length,
the 7th, 14th, etc. partials will be missing].

It gets better, though ! Another interesting way of looking at it is via the
  _production_  of partials as well as their  _attenuation._    Now, I'm not
a physicist, so I'll do my best on this -- those of you who are jump in, but
don't beat me up !

The hammer induces a particular shape into the string not just by the time it
stays on the string but by the time over which it delivers its energy. This
induced wave is a picture of the sum of all the partials produced by the
string. For instance, you can picture that if the hammer were able to induce
a long wave wherein the string vibrated only over its whole length, the
string would be producing basically fundamental. If instead the wave looked
more like  ______/\_______ (or maybe ----^v-------, use your imagination),
that would be representative of a tone with a greater proportion of high
partials to low. Therefore, if the hammer can be made to deliver the same
amount of energy over a longer time, a smoother or longer waveform results,
and therefore a greater proportion of the tone is made up of fundamental and
lower partials.  Since the most desirable piano tone is weighted more and
more toward the lower partials the farther up the scale we go, a full
spectrum is not necessarily desirable, but we want to use all the available
energy to produce a strong tone.

This is where wool felt comes in -- it acts as an adjustable spring which
stores energy, allowing it to  transfer that energy to the string over a
longer period of time. The stiffer the spring (hammer) the more quickly the
energy is delivered, and the spikier the resulting waveform,  which can be
shown (by Fourier analysis) to be composed of more high partials.

The important thing here is that the SAME amount of energy is delivered to
the string in either case. Voicing is a matter of adjusting the stiffness of
the spring, giving us the ability to shift energy from one part of the
spectrum to another WITHOUT losing power. The other side of the coin is that
it is possible for the hammer felt to be soft enough that it no longer acts
as a spring but as a shock absorber (imagine covering a basketball with
marshmallows). The same amount of energy is in the hammer, but is dissipated
both as the hammer decelerates at the beginning of contact with the string,
and by resorbtion of energy from the vibrating wire. This is why very little
needling is done at the surface of the hammer's tip.

I hope this makes sense !

Bob Davis, RPT
University of the Pacific
Stockton, CA