Tinned vs. Polished

SEThile@aol.com SEThile@aol.com
Sat, 19 Aug 1995 00:26:52 -0400

In a message dated 95-08-17 21:49:53 EDT, Paul Dempsey writes:

>We had a thread recently regarding various brands of piano wire available
and
>their merits and I was just wondering if any of you have any strong opinions
>about Roslou's tinned         ( vervinnt) wire versus their polished wire.
>Obviously there are appearance differences but how about tonal
considerations
>,etc?
>
>Paul Dempsey
>Marshall University
>wippen@aol.com

We used Roslou's tinned wire for many restorations in my shop, especially for
instruments located near or on the coast and subject to  salt air off the
ocean.  It did hold up better in these extreme conditions with less corrosion
than polished wire.  Unfortunitly there was a problem. After several years
the tin would start to flake off the wire around bearing points.  It even
caused a rendering problem through the agraffes of some pianos. I stopped
using it several years ago.

As to the difference in tone, I believe there is one.  It may be the tin
plate wire is somewhat stiffer.  It seemed to have more dominent high
partials.  I felt the tonal differences were minor though, especially
compared to the flaking.

BTW good string covers work best in high corosion areas. Much better then the
tinned wire did.

Scott Thile R.P.T.
Murray State University (Murray, KY)