M&H Screwstringer

Mortier@aol.com Mortier@aol.com
Sun, 13 Aug 1995 16:16:44 -0400

Mason & Hamlin's screw stringer system actually did work. I've tuned six  or
seven, including a 7-foot grand and never found a loose "pin". Neither have I
had to replace any strings (luckily). I've seen several other offbeat tuning
pin systems, but Mason's seems the only one to be relatively common today. I
collect piano literature, but I've never come across any factory instructions
for screw stringer maintanance. Anyone seen any?  I've a few advertising
cards for the system, which seems to have been used in the late 1890's to
early 1900's only.

Philip Jamison
West Chester, PA