Introduction and Re: Listserv

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Mon, 07 Aug 1995 14:34:20 -0600

>I am a fairly new subscriber to the list (so far I've been lurking, and

It's nice to see a post from you!

>I'm sure that many listmembers would prefer to have beginners unsubscribe.

I'm not one of them as we were all "beginners" once. My objections are more
to those with access to the list who aren't really interested in piano
technology and ask questions more suited to the r.m.m.p. newsgroup rather
than a list such as this. We haven't had TOO many problems so far, but I can
see it happening as the list grows larger.

>We can, after all, access the archive through the Piano Page, and there is
>always the rec.music.makers.piano newsgroup. I'm considering doing so, but
>wonder what the general attitude of the listmembers is.

Accessing the archives is fine for those who merely wish to see what's going
on or download resource material. In the case of most of us there is a
legitimate purpose for the list and it's a valuable resource which can be
accessed extremely quickly compared to anything other than a phone call,
which may not be possible since there are other "protocols" to consider. I
prefer it immensely to the idea of a newsgroup as rec.music.makers.piano
fulfills that purpose already.

My opinions are of course, my own, but if someone is serious about the piano
and the technology that goes into it they should have access to a resource
like this where they can read and reply and ask pertinant questions.

I'd still like to see an additional list for PTG members only though...

                        John

John Musselwhite, RPT               Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com              sysop@67.cambo.cuug.ab.ca