pinning

Thomas D. Seay, III t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
Mon, 07 Aug 1995 14:38:38 -0500

>pianotech@byu.edu
>August 7, l995
>
>How long does it take the average tuner to pin a hammer-flange?

It takes me one or two minutes per flange, depending on whether or not
re-bushing is involved and whether the flange is teflon or not.

>Say you did 100 at your shop, with obligatory smoke-breaks, and
>you have no idea what to bill the customer.  Is there a rate-book on
>such things?

I am reluctant to quote a specific price to charge for anything, tuning
included. An hourly rate of one-half to two-thirds of your tuning fee would
probably be appropriate, IMHO, based on an individual's level of skill and
expertise.

BTW, Don Maninno of Young Chang has developed an excellent method for
repinning flanges. Perhaps he would mail you a copy of his method if you
asked him.

Regards,

Tom Seay
t.seay@mail.utexas.edu