Introduction and Re: Listserv

John Wehlitz jwehlitz@ix.netcom.com
Mon, 07 Aug 1995 10:52:12 -0700

8-7-95

Hello all,

I am a fairly new subscriber to the list (so far I've been lurking, and
hopefully learning), but now I would like to introduce myself and offer some
comments on the Listserve issue.

I am an absolute beginner in the field, and am currently taking the Randy
Potter piano technology course. I am an associate member or the Portland,
Oregon PTG chapter (well, the chapter considers me an assoc. member, the
home office hasn't processed the paperwork yet). This is a mid-life career
change and I believe that I've finally found that career niche that I've
spent most of my adult life looking for. Of course, at this point in
learning, I do get frustrated that my tuning etc. isn't better than it is.
I've been enjoying reading this list even though much of the discussion has
been over my head.

Re: Listserve

I've been surprised to read that people are concerned about the volume on
the list, since I think of it as a very low volume list. Another list that I
subscribe to has almost 800 subscribers and usually generates over 100
messages a day. No, I don't read them all. We definitely need to find out if
BYU is concerned before we get concerned.

Also:

Phillip C. Sloffer wrote:

>The little things do count so if you are new to the list or new to tuning
>pianos please make your comments freely and ask any questions you like.

I appreciate Phillip wanting to welcome beginners like me to the list, but
since he is not (as far as I know) the list owner, I'm not sure that he has
the right to issue the above invitation. The list was started by and for
College and University Technicians, and in a way, the rest of us are gate
crashing. I'm certainly not comfortable with posting novice questions here.

I'm sure that many listmembers would prefer to have beginners unsubscribe.
We can, after all, access the archive through the Piano Page, and there is
always the rec.music.makers.piano newsgroup. I'm considering doing so, but
wonder what the general attitude of the listmembers is.

John Wehlitz
Hillsboro, Oregon
jwehlitz@ix.netcom.com