splitting our list

TUNERJIM@aol.com TUNERJIM@aol.com
Sat, 05 Aug 1995 08:17:10 -0400

Allen Leigh, thank you for helping me clarify my views on list splitting.
Prior to reading your posting I'm afraid I was thinking somewhat selfishly,
from my personal vantage of
being a university tech, a 20-year RTT, and owner/operator of a highly
successful,
rapidly growing full-line area music store.

Your posting brought back to me vividly memoriesof my eagerness as a novice
technician to learn everything there was to know about piano technology and
the
great efforts I made to atrtend every gathering of piano technicians, from
chapter
meetings to regional seminars to annual conventions.  Mostly I remember the
kindness
and patience of older technicians who received the most basic questions from
this
tyro and gently and with kindness explained until I unerstood.  As far as I
was
concerned, PTG was, and is, piano tech heaven.

I congratulate my colleagues on the list for the lack of <flaming>, but I can

understand that the somewhat esoteric discussions and tinges of ivory tower
(town versus gown) can be daunting to a newcomer.  Allen, you helped put this

into perspective for me.  I now believe there should be two lists: one which
is
primarily theoretical and postgraduate; one which is more typical of the fun
and information sessions that spontaneously arise whenever two or more piano
technicians get together.  Personally I would subscribe to and enjoy both
groups.

Gotta go, my wife says it's time to leave for the store.  Enjoy,

Jim DeRocher
Stafford Music  Learning Center